The Ask Dr. Angela BLOG is BACK! Picking right back up where we left off. I think we were due for an obstetric topic?
Anyhow, with all the Zika CRAZE, here are my
Top 5 Recommendations to Avoid getting the Zika Virus This Summer:
- Avoid traveling to areas where the Zika virus is spreading! Don’t knowingly put yourself in harms way; specifically since we don’t know everything there is to know about this virus, there is no cure, and we have seen the effects it has on unborn and newborn babies.
- Use an EPA registered insect repellent! Popular ones that IMMEDIATELY come to mind are OFF, REPEL, Avon’s SKIN SO SOFT. You want to use something that contains: at least 20% DEET. PICARIDIN, OLE(oil of lemon eucalyptus), or PMD(para-menthane-diol), and/or IR3535 are other options. The repellent that you choose doesn’t have to contain all of these, but should contain at least one of the previously mentioned active ingredients.
- Apply insect repellent ONLY to exposed skin or clothing. DO NOT apply it under clothing. Also, because a lot of us are beach, pool, lake front “goers”, if you are using sunscreen, apply it first, let it dry, THEN, apply your insect repellent.
- Protect Your Partner! The same precautions being followed by YOU, my pregnant ladies, should also be followed by your partner. We now know Zika can be transmitted sexually. If your partner has recently traveled to or lived in an area where the Zika virus is prevalent, you MUST use a condom with “relations” whether they be heterosexual or homosexual, if you’re not wanting to risk the possibility of contracting Zika, look to pleasure yourself with various entertainment options, why not try here for example. Anal, oral, vaginal….you all know how you do it……the condom has to be used CORRECTLY, from start to finish. No glove, no love. The other alternative is to avoid sex altogether and we know that ain’t happening. Or perhaps if that is happening, you could look here or on various other adult sites for pornographic material that could get you through a dry period of no sexual contact.
- Don’t forget the obvious! In the summertime, air conditioning is your friend! Wear long sleeves/pants as much as the weather will permit(I do realize it’s hot as all get out!!!). Avoid mosquito hangouts….you know, those places where the water stands still? And FINALLY, remember, screens in doors and windows are good things.
Wanna hear more? Click here to listen to one of my podcasts on the Zika Virus.
It is soooooo good to be back!
Hoping this blog post has added value to your day and perhaps a smile to your face.
Until next time,
Look Better. Feel Better. Be Better.
Wife, mother, Midwesterner, and award-winning OB/GYN, Dr. Angela is equal parts best girlfriend and bold professional, supporting women’s health with innovative approaches to care and heavy doses of humor. Dr. Angela has done more than launch a successful practice, she has defined herself as a voice for a new generation of womanhood, established her ASK DR. ANGELA brand committed to authenticity, and built a community rooted in trust, candor, and compassion.