Stretch marks……..I can’t tell you how many home remedies, creams, lotions, potions, and elixirs I’ve seen or heard of all claiming to prevent stretch marks!
While pregnancy is a beautiful state of existence, sometimes expectant moms don’t feel so beautiful. We’ve all been there, those of us who are moms that is….Between the nausea, back pain, swelling, and for some of us, those ghastly stretch marks? What gives?????
Here are a few fun facts about stretch marks and what we can TRY to do to prevent them.
1. Stretch marks occur when your body grows at a rate faster than what your skin can keep up with.
2. Pregnancy, puberty, rapid weight gain, family history of stretch marks, are a few examples of things that can predispose one to stretch marks
3. Hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate. The skin is the the largest organ in/on our body! Ensuring that your skin is hydrated enough to help with the constant sloughing off of dead cells and regeneration of the new goes a long way! Remember, it’s easier to stretch something that is soft, and elastic as opposed to dry and brittle……HYDRATE!
4. Moisturize. Moisturize. Moisturize. Heavy lotions, creams, butters(shea or coco), or oils will do. Anything that makes your skin feel soft, smooth, less itchy will do the trick. Don’t get caught up spending a fortune on products that claim miracles.
5. Eat a healthy diet! Remember, you are what you eat!
Hoping this blog adds value to your day!
Until next time,
Look Better. Feel Better. Be Better.
Wife, mother, Midwesterner, and award-winning OB/GYN, Dr. Angela is equal parts best girlfriend and bold professional, supporting women’s health with innovative approaches to care and heavy doses of humor. Dr. Angela has done more than launch a successful practice, she has defined herself as a voice for a new generation of womanhood, established her ASK DR. ANGELA brand committed to authenticity, and built a community rooted in trust, candor, and compassion.