HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!
Hoping 2017 has gotten off to a ROARING start! Team Dr. Angela has reflected, regrouped, and refocused. I am super psyched to educate, entertain, and empower……..
I remember growing up in Cincinnati, Ohio. I am the oldest of 3. One time in the kitchen, while hanging out with my mom and younger sister, my mother looks at my sister, who couldn’t have been any more than seven or eight, and asks her, “what are some names for your private area?” My sister, being as fresh as she has always been, responded, “you know mom, my private, my p*$$%, my purse.” Our mom, being as conservative as she has always been, remember, I’m a preacher’s kid, my mom was/is the first lady of our church in Cincinnati…..anyway, she scolded my sister for using “such language” in her presence, and instructed her that her “private area” was indeed called a vagina. I knew that my sister was in fact already privy to this, but had just said those things to get a rise out of mom, so to speak.
As I think fondly on this memory, and reflect on what I currently do, just call me the vagina whisperer, I thought of a few odd functions our vaginas serve. Come to think of it, my younger sister wasn’t so far off after all.
Top 5 Non-traditional Functions of Our Vaginas:
- Tampon holder. Probably one of my LEAST favorite things about my job……imagine pulling a tampon out of a vagina that someone either forgot was there, or didn’t realize was there in the first place. Talk about clearing a room or even an office….not a smell you’ll soon forget. Not to fear ladies….you are not the only one that this has happened to. Promise.
- Toy box. A clear instance where “don’t ask don’t tell” comes into play. No judgement. Never from my corner. Lets just keep in mind that vaginas are NOT never ending tunnels.
- Lunchbox. YES. Seems most vaginas that I’ve encountered are vegetarian. Carrots, cucumbers, or bananas anyone?
- Condom Dispenser. I was as surprised as I am sure you are reading this, but I swear, about a week ago, unbeknownst to the owner of a particular vagina, I pulled a condom out. I thought to myself……REALLY?!? Talk about killing two birds with one stone. No worries about squelching the spontaneity of “the moment”. Just stick it in and consider yourself covered; both for pregnancy prevention as well as STIs(sexually transmitted infections).
- Canvas. I’ve seen more bedazzled, tattooed, and pierced vulva/vaginas than you can imagine. Talk about expressing yourself!
Guess my little sister was more correct than we originally thought. Our vaginas are sort of like purses. Name a purse that you haven’t seen tampons, toys, food, condoms, or art supplies in?
Hoping this blogpost managed to make you smile or perhaps laugh out loud!
2017 is going to TOTALLY ROCK!
Until next time,
Look Better. Feel Better. Be Better.
Wife, mother, Midwesterner, and award-winning OB/GYN, Dr. Angela is equal parts best girlfriend and bold professional, supporting women’s health with innovative approaches to care and heavy doses of humor. Dr. Angela has done more than launch a successful practice, she has defined herself as a voice for a new generation of womanhood, established her ASK DR. ANGELA brand committed to authenticity, and built a community rooted in trust, candor, and compassion.