Exercise During Pregnancy. Get Some!
Pregnancy. One of the most AMAZING experiences you’ll ever have. Beautiful. Awe inspiring. Life changing. On the flip side there is fatigue, emotional lability, and the annoyances of things such as swollen legs/feet, back pain, constipation, etc. Can you relate? I’m sure you, as well as so many other preggos past and present, can. So why, on top of all the nuances that one might go through during the course of a pregnancy, am I recommending exercise? How about it does a body and pregnancy good. In addition to helping reduce the aforementioned,
Here are 5 Reasons to get some. Exercise during pregnancy, that is!
1. It gives you energy! As exhausting as pregnancy can be, who couldn’t use a little pick me up on a daily basis? In case you aren’t one who got that pregnancy glow naturally, all the endorphins and feel good hormones released during the course of a good workout will not only have you looking better, but also feeling better.
2. Keeps weight gain at bay! Exercise will help limit the amount of weight you gain during the course of your pregnancy. Keep in mind, gaining too much weight can adversely impact labor, as well as increase your risk for things such as c-section, hypertensive disorders, gestational diabetes, etc. Not to mention, you won’t have as many pounds to shed postpartum.
3. Easier Labors! Expectant moms are oft times nervous, or even afraid of the labor experience. Exercise helps give you the confidence and power to kick labors tail! If you are physically fit, you will more than likely experience less pain during labor, perhaps even a shorter labor. Labor means work. A fit body is more capable of doing just that.
4. Decreases your risk of postpartum depression. Postpartum depression is a very real phenomenon. Becoming a new mom can be stressful/overwhelming to say the least. Exercise helps decrease risks of developing this, while at the same time helping to ensure better quality sleep; something every new mom needs.
5. A great way to jumpstart healthy living. If you’re already exercising during pregnancy, it’s easier to keep it going! Women who exercise during their pregnancy not only bounce back a lot faster; i.e., speedy recovery, quicker return to pre-pregnancy body weight, etc., but also decrease their risk of other chronic medical conditions; i.e., obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.
Hoping this blog post has inspired you to get moving. A few things to keep in mind. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids and listening to your body; i.e., if you are tired, short of breath, feeling dizzy or lightheaded, you should probably “reel it in a bit.” Try to avoid exercises associated with an increased risk of falling, or that require you to lie flat on your back. As always, if you have any questions or aren’t quite sure what exercise are or aren’t safe during pregnancy, check with your obgyn.
Cheers to you and a healthy, fit, pregnancy!
Until next time,
Look Better. Feel Better. Be Better.
Wife, mother, Midwesterner, and award-winning OB/GYN, Dr. Angela is equal parts best girlfriend and bold professional, supporting women’s health with innovative approaches to care and heavy doses of humor. Dr. Angela has done more than launch a successful practice, she has defined herself as a voice for a new generation of womanhood, established her ASK DR. ANGELA brand committed to authenticity, and built a community rooted in trust, candor, and compassion.